Friday, September 11, 2009

PWD (Pasty White Disorder) – the Scourge of the Menopausal and Overweight


There is this weird cosmic chicken and egg thing going on. Did I stop wearing shorts because I got fat or did I get fat because I stopped wearing shorts? I don’t guess it matters except that the end result is that I am now the color of typing paper.

And, as it turns out, that’s a health hazard. Apparently you should at least strive for beige or off-white. Pasty white means you are short on Vitamin D, the “sunshine” vitamin, of all things. And being short on Vitamin D can lead to bone loss, certain forms of cancer, and heart disease.

So instead of sitting in my car at lunch wolfing down a Bojangles meal, I should have been outside in the sunshine while eating something more nutritious. Now, following a blood test which confirmed the deficiency, I’m taking about a zillion units of Vitamin D for twelve weeks.

I’m still pasty white, but I just can’t be seen in shorts till I do something about the weight thing. Call me vain, but I refuse to go around looking like trailer trash, with pudgy white legs hanging out of shorts that also accentuate the dimensions of my derriere.

The good news is that apparently I’ve sunk as low as I can possibly get. Now I’m going in the other direction. I’m eating better, thinking about exercise (hey, Rome wasn’t built in a day), and taking a multi vitamin along with the zillion D’s.

In the meantime, I’m thinking of going for a grant to study PWD in America. Since I have PWD and live in Florida, I’m guessing it’s an epidemic in the northern states. But in my grant proposal I’m going to suggest the study be done in Hawaii.

No comments:

Post a Comment